Lufthansa Premier Miles and More World MasterCard offer a series of benefits to globetrotting United States (U.S.) residents. The credit card is a part of their Miles and More frequent flyer program. Members gain access to the largest European traveler loyalty program, complete with exclusive flight and retail discounts.
Lufthansa began operating flights out of Germany in 1926 as Deutsche Luft Hansa. The company became Germany’s premier carrier after expansion throughout the 1900s. Munich, Zurich and Vienna are a few popular European destinations with Lufthansa airline hubs. Passengers travel to India, Malta and U.S. locales through airline partnerships.
Miles and More Frequent Flyer Program
The Miles and More frequent flyer program debuted in January 1993. Membership is free of charge. Three mileage types exist as of November 2012.
– Award miles from Lufthansa travel buys flights, upgrades and merchandise from Lufthansa WorldShop and participating partners. Miles obtained through program credit cards do not expire while cards are active.
– Traveling on partner airlines (Luxair) or with Star Alliance members (Air China) generates Status Miles (Senator Status) that expire in one calendar year. Mileage qualifies members for valuable service upgrades.
– Travel via partner airlines and Germany’s Air-Rail trains generate HON Circle Miles. Individuals who achieve this distinction are frequent flyer elite.
All members can redeem miles for discounted or free tickets on Lufthansa, partner airlines and Star Alliance carriers. Fuel surcharges and taxes are extra but additional miles pay the fees in some cases. U.S. car rental redemption is relatively easy but users may run into difficulties attempting to find participating hotels. Other benefits vary depending on frequent flyer status.
– Individuals who acquire over 35,000 travel miles in one year and remain active for at least two years achieve Frequent Traveler status. Passengers receive access to business lounges and business class check-in. A special member hotline handles future bookings.
– Passengers who accrue 100,000 miles in one year acquire Senator Status. Members receive travel upgrade vouchers and companion ticket awards in addition to Frequent Traveler benefits. They also receive priority baggage handling and preferred seating courtesy of Star Alliance airlines.
– HON Circle status requires passengers to accumulate 600,000 miles over two years. Members receive limousine pickup and personal assistant services at select German locales. Passengers relax in comfort at first-class terminals throughout Europe and at New York’s John F. Kennedy (JFK) airport.
Premier Miles and More MasterCard
The Premier Miles and More World MasterCard helps individuals quickly achieve preferred traveler status. Customers who constantly shuttle between Europe and the U.S. can earn 20,000 welcome bonus miles for the first card purchase and another 15,000 miles for qualifying balance transfers. Two transactions immediately place cardholders at Frequent Flyer status.
Every $1 United States dollar (USD) charged on the card earns one flyer mile. Partner airline ticket purchases earn two flyer miles for every $1 USD. Senator or HON Circle status members do not pay the $79 USD annual card fee. Cardholders also enjoy low foreign transaction fee rates of approximately one percent as of September 2011.
The card received generally favorable reviews. Members stated they receive additional miles for charging various amounts within a certain period. In some cases, they earned a free one-way ticket within three months.
Lufthansa Premier Miles and More World MasterCard is the perfect accessory for American world travelers. Generous bonuses and indulgent services make the program stand out from others. Complete an online application at miles-and-more.com and open a world of possibilities.