SPENT is a free expense management service that pays you cash back on your purchases at participating brands and stores including Amazon, Uber, Staples and nearby stores. SPENT lets you register your credit and debit accounts in order to import your expenses and display them in real time, allowing you to automatically categorize and organize your transactions into folders however you want.
The app is mostly designed for freelancers and business owners to manage business and personal expenses easily. Just as Tinder popularized the idea of swiping left or right in its mobile dating app, SPENT uses swipes to categorize personal and business expenses: left for personal, right for business.
There are several apps that manage your expenses by connecting to your bank and credit accounts, pulling and organizing transaction data. Some may use Quickbooks, Quicken, Personal Capital, or even Billguard to track these transactions and feel a bit more secure than an app they haven’t heard of. You may also be wary of sharing account information or mostly use cash. We like this app because when you make a personal or business purchase at any one of over one million places, you qualify for cash back over and above what you earn with an existing credit card. This is without having to enter a receipt or do any labor if it’s done on your credit or debit card.
How SPENT Works
1. Simply download the free SPENT App on your iOS or Android device to get started.
2. Register your credit and debit accounts to import your expenses and activate your cash back.
3. Choose 3 stores or brands from SPENT’s featured selection to earn 1% cash back on any purchase from your registered cards:
- Panera Bread
4. Shop online to earn up to 45% cash back at participating stores and earn cash back at select services including travel, entertainment, and more.
5. Spend at local stores and restaurants to earn additional cash back rewards.
6. Create folders to manage your expense categories and keep track of your spending.
7. SPENT learns where your expenses occur and how you like to organize them, and then SPENT automatically begins to categorize your expenses accordingly.
If you don’t need to track or manage your expenses, you may want to try Drop to earn rewards on your purchases when you link your credit and debit cards. We have not yet tested out if you can double dip and use the same cards but we plan to. Drop has a bonus when you sign-up and SPENT doesn’t. This is the main reason we are waiting around to try SPENT until they offer a sign-up bonus.