Trim is a free service that offers automated statement credits to your Visa credit or debit card when you connect your card, activate cashback coupons via Facebook Messenger, and make qualifying purchases on your card at participating retailers or in select shopping categories. It not only monitors your credit cards but your bank accounts to help cut down on unnecessary bills or overpaying.
Save up to $40 in Bonus Statement Credits
You can earn $40 in bonus statement credits on your everyday purchases when you sign up for Trim. After linking your Visa card you get a grocery offer then after activating that offer in Facebook Messenger they send two more offers. Here are some example offers:
- Spend $5 or more at any U.S. grocery and get $1 back. Can be repeated up to ten times for a total savings of $10. Expires 7/3/17. Tip: You could charge this on a card that is paying a quarterly 5% cashback bonus to double up on the rewards. Chase Freedom Visa is paying a 5x Bonus on Grocery stores during this quarter.
- Spend $5 or more at any U.S. restaurant and get $1 back. Can be repeated up to ten times for a total savings of $10. Expires 7/3/17.
- $10 Back On $50+ Grocery Purchases
- Spend $20 or more at any U.S. movie theater and get $10 back. Expires 8/31/17.
How To Activate Trim Savings
1. Head over to Trim to Sign-Up!
2. Click “Savings” under the Menu in your Trim account and register your Visa credit card or Visa debit card with Trim Savings. Tip: We recommend using a credit card over debit cards for any purpose.
3. Once you register, Trim Savings will offer you cashback coupons via Facebook Messenger.
4. Activate the cash back coupons that you want to use via the “Activate” button on Facebook Messenger.
5. After you’ve Activated the offers, you simply use your Visa card to make qualifying purchases.
6. Once you’ve made a qualifying purchase, the statement credits will be automatically applied to your Visa card account.
Trim Remembers To Cancel “Free Trials” So You Don’t Get Charged
While some may love the bonus incentives to use Trim they offer some possibly really helpful services as well. Trim also helps you cancel unwanted Credit Card Subscriptions. If you are like me you sign up for tons of “free trial offers” such as Netflix and Hulu then lose track of all the subscription services that are registered with what promotion. Trim can easily find and cancel unwanted credit card subscriptions. Trim finds all the subscriptions on your credit card or debit card such as Amazon Prime or Google Play renewing then sends you a list of them in a text message and then cancels the ones you don’t want.
Save on Your Cable Bill
Trim is offering an exclusive Comcast cost-cutting service. Perhaps, this will keep you from cord-cutting if you save money with your cable bill. Trim will monitor your Comcast bill and use chat to get reductions. They basically negotiate your rate and you pay 25% of the first bill’s reductions so if they save you $10 per month then you’ll pay $2.50. That certainly beats calling into the cable service but we recommend you do that every 6 months or so anyway no matter what the hassle to get deeper discounted rates or promotions. We hope they expand to include Spectrum and other cable providers such as Cox Communications.
Statement Credits for Targeted Visa Transactions
Trim also offers a card link program as part of Visa Trial Link. When you link your Visa card with Trim, you’ll get targeted cash back offers in the form of a statement credit. This works with Visa cards only. Any account linked in Trim with the bank login should automatically be part of the card-link program (without inputting the card numbers) managed exclusively via Facebook messenger.
Should I Share My Login and Credit Card Information with Trim? Is it Safe?
The Login you give them is actually converted to a token where Trim only gets read-only access to your transaction data. They cannot move money or make any changes to your account. You can revoke their read-only access token at any time. They also use 256-bit SSL encryption for their website and all server-side databases using Amazon Web Services (AWS), a secure online data storage and hosting service that is used by the Department of Defense, NASA, and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). They have stated that your data on our servers will never be accessed or used by any other party and they will not sell your data or use it in any way without your permission.
As a credit card and frugal nerd I am more than excited to give this service a go. I am not worried about sharing login information as I will be using a credit card that is not connected to a bank account. I will most likely use my Capital One Visa and Chase Freedom cards. My only worries are that this program will interfere with Rewards Network or Shell Fuel Rewards in which I get a big savings on my gas and that is much needed right now. I plan on testing this service out and seeing how it goes and writing more as I go along so make sure and bookmark this page or add us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.