Uber announced the details of their anticipated new credit card this week. Key features include 4% cashback on dining, $100 signup bonus, $600 in cell phone insurance, and a $50 subscriptions (e.g. Netflix, Hulu) benefit.
Uber and Barclaycard have partnered to issue this new Visa card which will be available for application starting November 2, 2017. The following rewards can be earned:
- 4% back on dining which includes restaurants, fast-food restaurants, takeout, and bars, including UberEATS. You really can’t beat the 4% dining cashback with any other card unless you have Chase Freedom or Discover IT at 5% during the 3 months a year they offer this.
- 3% back on airfare, hotels, travel agencies, and vacation home rentals including AirBnB
- 2% back on online purchases which includes online shopping, Uber, and streaming services. This includes retailers such as Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, and Macy’s, as well as Netflix, Pandora, HBO Now, Apple Music, iTunes, and Google Play. And also certain online services like Instacart, Shyp, Angie’s List, Handy, Thumbtack, FlyCleaners, and TaskRabbit. Does NOT include: online purchases paid with third party payment methods including PayPal, Venmo, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Android Pay. Also does not include online purchases from merchant category codes that include Utilities, Contracted Services, Government Services, or Professional Services.
- 1% on everything else
$100 Signup Bonus
- Get $100 back after spending $500 within the first 90 days
Your 10,000 bonus points will be awarded at the close of the first billing statement after you spend $500 in purchases on your Uber Visa Card.
Points for Cash Back
The card earns ‘points’ which can be redeemed for cash back, Uber credit, or gift cards at a rate of 1 cent per point.
- Reward redemptions start at a $5 when redeemed for Uber credit and $25 when redeemed for cash back or gift cards
- No limit to how many points you can earn
- Points don’t expire
- No annual fee
- No foreign transaction fee
- APR: 15.99%, 21.74% or 24.74% depending on credit worthiness
- Up to $600 in mobile phone insurance for theft or damage if you pay your complete monthly phone bill with the Uber card. There is a $25 deductible. Coverage for stolen and damaged cell phones as well as involuntary and accidental parting of your cell phone is provided. Contact the Benefits Administrator at 866-894-8569 or visit CardBenefitServices.com for additional details. Once all other available insurance has been utilized, Cellular Telephone Protection will provide coverage up to six hundred ($600) dollars per claim after the twenty-five ($25.00) dollar deductible, with a maximum of two (2) claims and twelve-hundred ($1,200.00) dollars per twelve month period. This is the only no-fee card that offers this much of a mobile phone insurance coverage including theft.
- $50 subscription credit after you spend $5,000 on your card per year. Eligible subscription services are: Apple Music, Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Music, Google Music, Audible, Sirius XM, Netflix, Hulu, HBO NOW, DirecTV NOW, the membership fee for Amazon Prime, and Shoprunner. (This credit only begins in year #2 if you spent $5,000 in year #1.)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Exclusive access to events and offers in select U.S. cities
- Complimentary FICO score (like all Barclay cards)
This seems to be a cash back credit card aimed at people who love to get rewards on what they spend money on the most such as travel and dining. We are surprised it doesn’t offer more Uber rewards than the 2% as some cards offer 3% on Uber because it’s considered travel. Hopefully, Uber will offer promotions geared for cardholders for using their app. There are so many other benefits of this card we highly recommend it although BarclayCard (the issuer) can be hard to work with sometimes.