Wal-Mart has changed its credit card around in the past year to follow the path of Sam’s Club. Wal-Mart now offers a choice of a Discover Card that you can use at most businesses that take credit cards and a retail type card you can only use at their stores and Sam’s Club. Comparing the cards that are offered by Wal-Mart you can bet that their Discover Card offers more value than the version of the retail card since you can earn up to 1% cash back. One unique benefit of this credit card is the 3 cents per gallon saved on gas if you use it at their locations. This saves you from having to purchase a Wal-Mart gift card for a discount on gas. Note that the 3¢ off per gallon offer applies to the regular street price and cannot be used in conjunction with the SAM’S Club member discount.
Here are some of the benefits of the Wal-Mart Credit Cards:
- 10 Cents per-Gallon Discount for summer travel: Credit cards, Pre-Paid, and gift cards from Wal-Mart will earn the 10 cents per-gallon discount at its gas stations in 18 states. The discount for Wal-Mart credit cards lasts through Sept. 30.
- Accepted at Wal-Mart, SAM’S CLUB, Walmart.com and AOL.
- Upon approval, shop at any Wal-Mart store right away with the temporary Shopping Pass
- Save 3¢ per gallon at participating Wal-Mart and SAM’s Club gas stations²
- No annual fee
- $0 fraud liability
- Special financing offers
- Make in-store payments at any Wal-Mart or SAM’S CLUB register
- Choice of payment due date
- $20 cash at time of purchase with no additional fees (basically a cash advance in Wal-Mart stores)
- Additional cards for family members at no extra cost
- Great rate for pre-paid AT&T long distance
- Secure access to account information at www.walmartcreditcard.com
If you pick the Wal-Mart Discover Card you get additional benefits:
- Earn up to 1% cash back on all purchases with the Wal-Mart® Discover®¹
- Accepted everywhere you see the Discover® Network sign
Our Take: The Wal-Mart card is just a branded card with features that you find on most cards. This card was once offered by Chase and has improved some with the cash back but you can get a Discover Gas Card and still get these benefits and then some. Do not waste your time on the Wal-Mart Credit Card application unless you plan on going to their private label gas stations or getting $20 in cash advances each time you shop.
Where do I find an application for the Wal-Mart Credit Card?
New customers can apply by logging on to the gift registry at any Wal-Mart store. If your credit is approved then you can get “express credit” for that days shopping. You may also apply online for a Discover Card or online on the Wal-Mart credit card website.
What about a Wal-Mart Debit Card?