Pictured Above: Gas for only 99 cents as a joke at a local restaurant in Austin, TX. Remember the days of 99 cent gas? Those are long gone now.
This year has been by far the worst ever when it comes to high gas prices with imported oil taking over and political unrest with fighting in Iraq it means only worse things for our gas prices. Gas prices in Los Angeles and Las Vegas for premium gas is just over $4, even Florida is over $4. The national average price of a gallon of regular gasoline in the USA topped $4 for the first time confirming the expense drivers everywhere are seeing at the pump.
Even Diesel fuel is at all time highs over $4.00 a gallon. Unless you have enough money to invest in a hybrid or pre-order a 2010 Mitsubishi i MIEV Plug-In Electric Car you need to consider some ways to save money on gas. When looking for ways to cut fuel consumption and ways to save money we have found a few tips that you can really benefit from below:
- Buy your gas from grocery stores such as Tom Thumb, Vons, Safeway, Kroger, Albertsons
- Also try Costco and Sam’s Club or cheaper gas stations like Racetrack where you can save more than you would going to Bp, Exxon, or Shell. Driving your car across the street to save a few cents per dollar on gas can add up at the end of the year.
- Drive your car set on cruise control to help cut down reving up the engine and making the gas peddle flunctuate, keeping your gas mileage lower
- Keep the tires inflated and balanced regularly and make sure you rotate your tires every 3,000 miles or so.
- Also keep your maintence up on your car – just changing your oil and filter can keep gas costs down
- Do not overfill your gas tank
- Trade in your gas guzzling car in for a more fuel-efficient rated car
- Refrain from using air conditioning too much when sitting in traffic, this can be hard on your engine and cost you up to 20% in gas
- Buy the lowest grade octane that is recommended by your owners manual (i.e. 87, 91, 93)
- Use your credit card to pay for gas: We offer a few gas credit cards that offer great gas rebates up to 3%, now this is real cash back in your wallet. Cards you may apply for are our most recommended like the gas rebate card from Discover.